10-Week Value-Added Food Business Bootcamp
This 10-class, free program provides start-up food business entrepreneurs the knowledge and skills to turn their recipes into food products.
About this Event
The aim of this 10-class program is to provide entrepreneurs who may also be small or medium-sized farmers and food product owners in the Kawartha Lakes or Peterborough area the knowledge, skills and networking opportunities to turn their recipes into a retail-ready food product. The program includes online facilitation of a dedicated program of live workshops delivered on the ZOOM platform. The workshops are delivered as a sequential, laddering-up bootcamp, so participants registering here are applying for the full 10-week program.
Who This Program is For:
– New food or beverage entrepreneurs in the Kawartha Lakes and Peterborough area, with an idea for a consumer packaged good with no established business. If space permits participants will also be considered from other regions within East-Central Ontario.
– Early stage food or beverage entrepreneurs with a consumer packaged good idea.
-The Kawartha Choice FarmFresh program connects consumers with sources of local food in the buy-local region of Kawartha Lakes and Peterborough. This training program provides knowledge and skills for food producers to add value to primary local farm products by developing processed food products ready for retail.
– Note: This program is not well-suited for clients looking to grow a meal-kit or meal-delivery service or those with a food service establishment. It is mainly for those with a consumer packaged good.
- Food Trends for 2021, Idea Feasibility, Recipe Creation Discussion
- Competitive Analysis, Constraints & Channels
- Value Proposition, Business Plan & Canvas
- Food Science, Recipe Development, Where to Produce
- Sanitation & Food Safety
- Circularity & Sustainability in Food
- Food Packaging and Nutrition Labeling
- Branding and Marketing your Food Product
- Financial Feasibility & Profitability
- Food Product Sales & the Art of Pitching
1. Develop the skills and knowledge of how to turn a small-batch recipe into a scalable recipe for large-scale production, for retail sale
2. Explore opportunities for and application of sustainable food business practices
3. Understand the basics of the psychology of food branding, purchasing behavior and best practices for building a food-specific marketing strategy
4. Understand and apply principles of food packaging and nutrition labeling requirements as per Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and the U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
5. Increase understanding of principles of food safety and safe food production techniques
6. Learn the methods behind scaling a small batch recipe into a scalable recipe formulation
7. Entrepreneurs will leave with the basic knowledge to be able to finance, package, label, brand and market their own food product.
Participants Will Receive:
● Handouts from each class which may include templates, key resources lists, key points of the seminar in form of PDF powerpoint slides used by the presenter
● Access to an exclusive Facebook group which includes previous and all current FVP entrepreneurs. This is a forum for entrepreneurs in the food/beverage industry to provide resource sharing and support to each other.
● Note: these sessions are exclusively held live-online every week. Participants do not receive recordings of the sessions however in circumstances where a participant may not be able to attend a live session, they will have access to the recording for up to 2 weeks.
This program is delivered 100% live and online via Zoom with a myriad of food industry experts from Ontario with over 20+ years of experience.
Each class is 3-hours in length, with one class per week on Wednesdays from 6-9pm EST beginning January 27, 2021 with the last class on March 31, 2021.
If you are interested in participating in this program, please complete “Registration” prior to 11:59 pm January 13, 2021. Space is limited. https://value-added-food-business-bootcamp.eventbrite.ca
Successful applicants will be notified of their acceptance to the Training Program by direct email from the program organizers, and provided with the Zoom link prior to the first training date.
For further information or questions, please contact email@example.com :
Kelly Maloney, Economic Development Officer – Agriculture, City of Kawartha Lakes 705-324-9411 extension 1208 firstname.lastname@example.org
Gabi Dragomir, Rural Economic Development Officer, Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development, 705-743-0777 extension 2160 email@example.com
This project is funded in part by the government of Ontario.
A 6-class program designed to help food-producing farmers work smarter, not harder. Register: https://farm-financial-management-series.event...
Creative ways of connecting with farmers! Here are a few local members of Kawartha Choice FarmFresh (www.kawarthachoice.com) finding creativ...