Local Food Available during COVID-time
Creative ways of connecting with farmers!
Here are a few local members of Kawartha Choice FarmFresh (www.kawarthachoice.com) finding creative ways to help you find their products and help everyone stay safe at the same time. Avoid crowded stores and line-ups with creative alternatives such as online or phone ordering, curb-side/farm-yard pick-up, delivery, shipping and more from local farmers in our community. Check for more updates from other members in the days to come.
So many changes are impacting us today. One constant is that we all must eat. While many have well stocked pantry’s and freezers, most are starting to think about topping up food supplies – looking for something different, healthy, local and even fresh. Local farmers and local food suppliers might just have what you are looking for.
- Field Sparrow Farms (https://kawarthachoice.com/directory/field-sparrow-farms/) Henry and Sarah Bakker 705-886-0003, near Bobcaygeon. Pasture-raised chicken, pastured pork, and grass-fed beef: During the COVID-19 crisis and for as long as our farmers’ markets are cancelled, we will be doing free home deliveries on orders of $50 or more in Peterborough and Kawartha Lakes every Saturday morning as long as the current situation persists. Please place your order by Thursday night at 9pm. We will weigh and package everything and send an email with your total. We are asking that all payments be made via e-transfer, credit, or debit cards.
- O’Brienview Organic Farm (https://kawarthachoice.com/directory/obrienview-organic-farm/) Pauline O’Brien 705-887-3974, near Fenelon Falls. Certified organic beef, pork, vegetables, eggs and poultry: We are open from 9am-6pm, but please call ahead with your order. We will get it ready for you and call you back with a price. You may pay by email transfer and pick up order at the farm. Please do not get out of your vehicle – our order will be delivered to your vehicle.
- South Pond Farms, (https://kawarthachoice.com/directory/blossom-hill-nursery/) Danielle French 705-277-1649, near Bethany. We are offering prepared food, grocery and garden products for farm pick-up. Our menu of prepared food and pantry items is updated every Thursday by 12noon. We accept orders until midnight on Sunday for pick-up the following week. Between Monday-Wednesday we take down our products to make updates, releasing them on Thursday. In partnership with Kendal Hills Farm we are also joining their virtual farmers market where you can have our products as well as products from our local farmers and neighbours delivered to your home. Everything is made fresh, from scratch and using ingredients from our local farmers. We are taking every precaution to ensure a high level of sanitation. We require payment in advance so there is no exchange of money required when you pick-up. We will have your order ready for you in a safe, sanitized container. At Check-out, please indicate what time and date you will pick-up your order so we can have it ready for you.
- Blossom Hill Nursery, (https://kawarthachoice.com/directory/blossom-hill-nursery/) Hazel Cook 705-742-9923, near Bobcaygeon: We have added a honey bee apiary to Blossom Hill! We sell our own honey, queens, nucleus colonies, beeswax candles and other related products in additions to our Peonies, Delphiniums and other hardy perennials. Please call ahead.
- Gardens Plus (https://kawarthachoice.com/directory/gardens-plus/) Dawn Golloher 705-742-5918, near Peterborough: As we are a non-essential business, we will also be available for local pick up with no-contact pick up if needed for those orders placed on the website only.
This 10-class, free program provides start-up food business entrepreneurs the knowledge and skills to turn their recipes into food products....
A 6-class program designed to help food-producing farmers work smarter, not harder. Register: https://farm-financial-management-series.event...