Rhubarb Is Here!
Click for tips about buying and storing fresh Rhubarb & a local favourite recipe.
Tips for Buying & Storing Rhubarb
- Look for firm crisp stalks and fresh leaves if attached!
- Store unwashed in your refrigerator for up to one week
Pick up some Rhubarb from a local farm and try out this favourite recipe!
Rhubarb Custard Pie from 1950’s Robin Hood, “The Velvet Touch” cook book
4 Cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2″ pieces
2 Egg yolks ..
1 Tbsp of Milk
1/3 Cup Velvet Pre-Sifted Cake & Pastry Flour
1 1/2 Cups of Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Butter
- Line pie pan with pastry
- Preheat Oven to 425 F.
- Place Rhubarb in pastry-lined pie pan
- Mix Egg yolks, Milk, Flour and Sugar together with
a Rotary Beater.
- Pour Egg mixture over the rhubarb
- Dot filling with Butter & place in oven to bake
- Beat egg whites, 1/4 tsp cream of tartar and gradually add 4 tbsp brown sugar until it peaks
- Pour on top of pie after it has baked for 35 minutes
- Return to oven for remaining 10 minutes or until golden
- Bake at 425 F . (Hot) for 40 to 45 minutes.
*Note: If Frozen Rhubarb is used, use 3/4 Cup of Sugar
Recipe Donated by S.V.
Find fresh celery at these members: Lunar Rhythm Gardens Freedom Valley Farms Chick-A-Biddy Acres
These members are growing fresh cucumbers: Lunar Rhythm Gardens Freedom Valley Farms Franklin Farm Herbals and Market